Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Guest Post: Decorating Tips from an Interior Designer

What better way to end the month than with a guest post from one of my Super Fab sponsors? Today Rebecca from Renovating Rebecca will be taking over the blog to share some decorating tips. I am definitely taking notes!

Hi! I'm Rebecca and I blog at Renovating Rebecca. I am a newlywed, dog mom, photography enthusiast, and interior designer. My post topics include decorating, travel, photography, and our wedding.


When people find out that I'm an interior designer, I usually get comments like, "I need help with my house." or "I need decorating advice." Although I am an interior designer, I don't design houses or even work much with finishes. I work for the government and spend most of my time reviewing bids for furniture packages. It's pretty dull and boring work, but I do enjoy decorating my own home. Today I'm giving some basic tips that can be applied to anyone and any decorating scheme.


1. Don't buy furniture in sets. I don't know many people who want their home to look like it came out of a catalog. Most people want their home to be a reflection of themselves and their personality. I think this is best achieved by buying individual furniture pieces instead of sets.


2. Hang your window treatments high. I feel like this tip is everywhere in Pinterest, but in case you aren't aware of this, here's a great image.

Hanging your window treatments higher makes your windows and ceilings look taller.

3. Mix and match styles. Just because you have a mid-century sofa doesn't mean that you can't mix in traditional furniture with it.


4. Neutral walls and colorful furniture OR colorful walls and neutral furniture. I recommend one or the other, not both. There are a few exceptions to this rule - Holly from in the fun lane does a great job with the neutral on neutral color scheme and Emily Henderson did a very colorful tween girl's room - but I think this near to impossible for the regular person to pull off.


5. Spend money on investment pieces; the furniture that you will have for years (like a sofa or dining room table). Save on accessories by buying them at thrift stores or yard sales. Whenver I get tired of a room in my apartment, I go thrift store shopping for new accessories or lamps. Spray paint can transform practically any and every ugly thrift store find.

Everything in this photo (except the candle) was bought at a thrift store.

6. Buy things you LOVE. Don't just buy something because you want to finish up a space. Wait until you find something you love and can't live without. When I'm not sure about buying an item, I usually walk around the store for a few minutes. If I'm still thinking about that same item, then I know I should buy it.

7. Framing doesn't have to be expensive. I buy most of my frames at thrift stores and then spray paint them. Last year I bought 30 frames for $10.


Follow Rebecca:

No comments:

Post a Comment